Saturday, April 16, 2011

Streaming my entire music collection with Audiogalaxy - New Genie mode great addition

I use Audiogalaxy to stream my entire music collection.  It is fantastic and I love that I don't have to store my music on my laptop or phone.  I have a computer at home running 24/7 and it has the Audioglaxy client running on it.  With that running, I can stream my music from any web browser and the app for my Android phone.  On my phone, it works on both 3G and Wi-Fi.  I don't like to spend time making playlists, so I usually end up shuffling everything and skipping lots of songs that I'm not in the mood to listen to. Audiogalaxy released a new feature last week called "Genie" mode.  It's like the "Genius" mode in iTunes.  With the new "Genie" mode, I can just find the type of song that I'm in the mood for, click or touch "Genie" (in browser or on my phone), and then I'll get all the music like that song.  I'll go for hours now without skipping songs.  It works really well and I'm really glad to see this new feature.

3 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting I still use my iPod to listen to music and the radio of course. I can see how this would be useful if you have a lot of music that is hard to manage. I also like that you can run it on a phone or computer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used AudioGalaxy for about 4 months but just quit using it about a month ago. I used it because I have 20GB's of music, but my android phone didn't have a big enough SD card to hold it all. However now I have a 32GB SD card which holds all of my music and has extra room for my other files. The three things which I did not like about Audiogalaxy (and other similar services) is that on a mobile device, it can really chew through your battery having to maintain a constant radio connection with the internet. It also, for obvious reasons, wont work in bad signal areas and finally it streams the songs with lower audio quality.

    The new Genie mode sounds really cool though, I wish I could find an app that would "genie" my local music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @vdefender - take a look at jukefox (http://www.jukefox.org/ ). It has a smart shuffle mode that makes me pretty happy.

    ReplyDelete