Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hard drives die. Are you ready for that? Here's how I am.

Research
I needed a way to backup both Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux computers.  After spending some time researching backup programs, I decided instead of using one program, I am using a couple different ones.  I first gave serious consideration to CrashPlan and I will use it if my current setup doesn't work in the long term.

I wanted backup programs that would do automated, scheduled, and uncompressed file and folder backup.  I don't want to rely on a specific program to restore the files.  I wanted them be readily accessible on my hard drive.  If I use CrashPlan, I would have to rely on CrashPlan to re-open my backup files.  Right now CrashPlan is free, but what if they start charing for the restore feature and I have to pay to get my files back?  These are things that I think of and my reason for straight file backup.

Windows 7
My wife has a Windows 7 laptop and I setup the free GFI Backup Home Edition on it.  I have an Ubuntu desktop that has 4 TB of data storage on my network, so that is my backup location.  I have setup daily, weekly, and monthly scheduled backups to backup into separate "Daily", "Weekly", and "Monthly" folders on the Ubuntu Desktop.  This way, if a file is accidentally deleted at any point, we could always go back into a day old, week old, or month old backup and retrieve it.  All daily, weekly, and monthly backups write over the old data when they run.

Ubuntu Laptop
On the Ubuntu desktop, I setup Samba shares, so I could access the files on it from my Ubuntu laptop.  Since I only have a 64 GB SSD on my laptop, I don't store any files on it locally.  I just access them on the Ubuntu desktop storage machine.  I mount the Samba shares when I'm at home and access the files with Tonido when I am away.  Any files that I use frequently, like homework for classes, are stored in Dropbox.

A backup to all those backups
On the Ubuntu desktop with 4 TB of storage, I installed KBackup.  All of my personal documents, music, and pictures that are stored on the Ubuntu Desktop, as well as my wife's daily, weekly, and monthly backups are backed up on a daily basis to a 500 GB My Book external hard drive.  This way I am prepared in case my first backup hard drive fails.

I love to be prepared for any computer disaster. Now it's your turn to be prepared!  Please comment with your backup solutions.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a good setup!

    Personally since I am using a mac, I use the built in "Time machine" software that syncs over wifi to my 2TB network drive every hour. It stores every file i've ever had, and its as quick as clicking a button my toolbar and sliding through dates and times to grab any file I lost. Works flawlessly. It will also restore the entire system and every file from any check point should my drive just completely fail.

    As for my windows partition, I just take an image of the partition now and then manually with "Winclone."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no back up setup for my computer. Maybe I should start thinking about it. Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete